TOWN OF MILLIS
BOARD OF HEALTH
Minutes of Meeting February 10, 2014
A meeting of the Board of Health was held on Monday, February 10, 2014, at the Millis Town Hall Room #213, Millis, Massachusetts. Present were Kathleen Lannon, Chairwoman; Bonnie Hilton, Board Member; Vickie Philben, Administrative Assistant; and Scott Moles, Health Director. The Millis Board of Health meeting was called to order at 7:03 p.m.
Absent was Cheryl Labonte.
Approval of Minutes:
January 13, 2014 – The Board approved the Board of Health minutes for January 13, 2014.
Nurse’s Report: The monthly report of the Public Health Nurse was reviewed.
Director’s Report: The Director presented highlights of his activities.
- FY15 Budget Discussion – The Board reviewed the Board of Health FY15 Budget presentation, which is scheduled on March 10, 2014.
- Metrowest Tobacco Coalition Update –The Metrowest Tobacco Coalition will be hiring a Regional Coordinator. This position has been advertised in the Town Halls of the coalition and the Region 4a website.
- Food Recalls – see attached.
- Food Inspections – The Food Consultant conducted the following inspections in January 2014: Saigon Restaurant, McDonald’s Restaurant, Kiwi Burst, Millis House of Pizza, Tedeschi’s, Twist Bakery, Isabella’s, and Millis Shop’n’Go. A follow up inspection for Millis House of Pizza will be conducted by the Health Director.
- Town Meeting: May 2014 – The Millis Town Meeting is scheduled on May 12, 2014.
- Subway Re-opening – A new owner of Subway, Dheval Patel, is planning to open the establishment on Tuesday, February 11, 2014. Mr. Moles will inspect it prior to opening.
- 25 Myrtle Street: Septic Inspection and Occupancy – The Millis Board of Health is unable to consider 25 Myrtle Street for occupancy until a passing Title 5 report has been received.
- Rabid Raccoon Update – A rabid raccoon has been found in Millis at the Orchard Street/Bogastow Circle area and died upon its capture by the Animal Control Officer. The public was notified on the Millis website, as well as school notifications.
- Town Notices
- Web E-Subscribe – The Health Director explained the e-subscribe sign up on the Millis website.
- Swift Reach Notice Policy – The Health Director discussed the Town Policy for Swift Reach notices.
- Medical Marijuana Update – The list of the Medical Marijuana sites has been published on the Massachusetts Medical Marijuana website.
- Organic Material Waste Ban 10/1/14 – On January 31, 2014, Governor Duval Patrick announced Final Statewide Commercial Food Waste Disposal Ban Regulations to take effect on October 1, 2014. As explained by the Health Director, this should only affect Roche Bros based on the volume. The schools appear to be exempt from this ban. The purpose of the ban is to divert any business with over one ton of organic (food) material out of the current waste stream (landfills) to composting.
- CVS – CVS will no longer sell tobacco as of October 2014.
- Rabies Clinic – The Rabies Clinic is scheduled on April 5, 2014.
- Millis Beautification Day – The Millis Beautification Day is scheduled on April 12, 2014.
- Hickory Hills Environmental Health Impact Report (EHIR) – The EHIR application for Hickory Hills will be submitted shortly, as Planning Board is currently reviewing the site plans.
Scheduled Public Hearings & Discussions: none
Next Meeting: Monday March 17, 2014 at 7:00 p.m.
Vickie L. Philben
Millis Board of Health