- Give a duplicate house key to a relative, trusted friend or neighbor in case you are ever locked out;
- Do not hide house keys in mailboxes, in planters, under doormats, or other places they might be easily found. This will prevent criminals from finding an easy way into your home;
- Do not place personal identification on key rings;
- Be able to separate your car key from all of your other keys. You can purchase a detachable key ring for this purpose;
- Leave only your ignition key with the car when it is valet parked, serviced or repaired; and
- If you lose the keys to your home, change the locks as soon as possible.