Open Burning is allowed January 15 - May 1 from 10:00 - 4:00. All fires must be extinguished at 4:00.
A permit must be obtained from the Millis Fire Department. There is a $5 fee for permits that can be paid with a check or cash.
1. Call the Millis Fire Department on the day you wish to burn at 376-2361, no daily permits will be issued after 2p.
2. Burning of Stumps, Leaves, Fields, Rubbish or building materials is not permitted, the use of Gasoline is prohibited.
3. Burning must be at least 75 feet from any building.
4. A garden hose, rake, shovel or pressurized water extinguisher must be available for control of the fire.
5. Keep brush piles to a small, manageable size.
6. Someone must attend and control of the fire until it is completely extinguished.
The determination to allow burning is made by the Department of Environmental Protection and the decision is based on air quality. In addition the Fire Chief can determine that conditions do not permit safe burning and not allow burning for that day.
ANY VIOLATIONS OF THE ABOVE REGULATIONS COULD RESULT IN YOUR BURNING PERMIT BEING REVOKED FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE OPEN BURNING SEASON.
A burning permit does not release a party from liability for damage or extend any right to create a nuisance condition due to excess or drifting smoke.